Week 7 Story: The White Lotus Lodge

And so I continued on my journey.  I wasn't sure where I was going, but I had a feeling that I was headed the right direction.  After another long day of travel, I came upon a welcome surprise: an inn! An old inn, but an inn nonetheless on top of the hill.  I hadn't seen a building in weeks, let alone a person.  Some roads are less traveled than others, and I was starting to feel that perhaps this road was not a common one.  I must admit, at times I felt as though there was an unnatural energy to the place.  There would be no one for miles, and all of the sudden I would hear laughter or shouting.  The convenient thing about traveling alone was that, in those unnatural times, there was no one present to confirm the voices.  "Maybe it's all in my head," I would think aloud.  At times, it seemed easier to convince myself that I was crazy instead of actually acknowledging that those were REAL sounds.  I could deny the supernatural happenings no longer after staying at the White Lotus Lodge.

"White Lotus Lodge?" I asked aloud as I walked close enough to read the old wooden sign.  I had never heard of it, but I didn't expect to have being a foreigner and all. As I approached the door I heard raucous laughter and merriment.  I opened the door to find soldiers sharing mead and telling stories.  Soldiers? I was confused--I didn't even recognize the emblem on their clothes.  I quickly got a room for the night and stayed there.  Something about those soldiers seemed off... Before I had stopped thinking about it, I heard the soldiers start to exclaim to one another in hushed tones, "The sorcerer is coming! The Sorcerer is coming!" 

I peeked through a small hole in my wall just in time to see an older, gowned man with a long beard barge in through the front door.  He was furious, claiming that they had let his candle blow out while he was away.  The sorcerer was outraged--"You made me walk home in the dark! The lot of you couldn't even stay focused long enough to keep a candle from going out!" In his fury, the sorcerer turned an argumentative soldier into a pig.  

I swiftly packed my stuff and waited for an opportune moment to leave; I was chilled to the bone.   

bibliography: The Sorcerer of the White Lotus Lodge by R. Wilhelm and translated by Frederick H. Martens (1921).

Author's note: I based my story off of two separate Chinese fairy tales.  The first one is about a traveling merchant.  After feeling uneasy on the road he has been traveling on, he comes upon an inn.  The inn is full of soldiers, which confuses the merchant as there is no ongoing war or battles that he is aware of.  The merchant witnesses the general of the army get taken apart in his room.  Terrified, the merchant runs away from the inn as soon as he could.  He finds out that the area is an old battlefield, and there are a lot of unnatural happenings around those parts.  The other story I based my story off of is called the Sorcerer of the White Lotus Lodge.  In this story, there is a sorcerer who is very powerful.  He is known far and wide, and has acquired pupils who want to learn from him.  In this story, he gives his pupils different tasks to watch over while he is gone.  One of the tasks is a candle, which the students let go out.  This angers the sorcerer.  One of the sorcerer's pupils argues back and is turned to a pig.  After seemingly to get captured and eaten following this, the sorcerer outsmarts those looking to capture him and bring him to justice.  In my story, I took a traveler but not necessarily a merchant.  My person is more of just the wandering type.  My character also finds the road to be unnatural, and comes upon an inn with soldiers in it.  At this point, I introduce the wizard who is angered by the soldiers lack of discipline.  In his rage, he turns one of them into a pig.  I had fun writing this story, I hope you enjoyed reading it :)


A supernatural looking path.
source: flickr

Comments

  1. Hi Christian :) I really liked your story! I thought it was very mysterious and fun. I liked how well you blended the two stories together and could tell you had fun with it. The only thing I would've liked to have seen was an answer to why the soldiers were there. Maybe putting in a few lines where you reveal they're ghosts would be good? In any case, I really enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Christian!
    This story was so eerie without being too over the top! The soldiers being there without a war going on and the suspense, ugh, it's so creepy. You should play up the soldier aspect of this story and let us linger longer in the eeriness of their presence and the weird way they act towards the narrator but this was definitely scary. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Christian,
    Great story man! I like how easy you made it to follow along. I have not read the original story but I feel like I know it very well after reading your synopsis. You did a great job of capturing your main characters feelings and bringing them to life in your writing. I wonder why the soldiers where there, and who did they fight for? Maybe you could elaborate more on those details next time. Overall I loved the story, Great work! I look forward to reading more from you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Christian,
    Wonderful story! It was really fun to read and I loved your choice of vocabulary. It was very descriptive and helped give an accurate and specific reference to what was happening in the story and what the reader should be picturing. You seem well read from the way you write! Also, I love how the character spoke to the reader the whole time. That always gives great insight. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Christian, this was a fun story to read. It is a spooky story perfect for the Halloween season! I definitely want to know more about this lodge now. Your storytelling was descriptive and I enjoyed reading it from the wandering man’s perspective. What was he going on a journey for? I also thought it was cool how you created your own story from two different Chinese tales!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ : )

My Favorite Place: Cairns, Australia