My Favorite Place: Cairns, Australia

 Ten years ago I traveled to Australia with my brother, father, and grandfather.  Several years before this trip, my grandfather had saved up his money to support my sick grandmother if she needed to have extended stays in a hospital or nursing home.  Sadly, her health deteriorated quickly and she passed away before she ever needed assisted living in a nursing home. My grandfather, having saved a fair sum of money, decided he wanted to take his grandchildren traveling around the world.  This trip to Australia would be the first of several travels outside of the United States.  Though we traveled to several cities within Australia, including Sydney, I remember the city of Cairns as my favorite stop on the trip.  In fact, I now remember it as my favorite place.  It was a beach town, with beautiful white sand beaches and delicious sea food.  I was able to snorkel around the Great Barrier Reef with my brother and father, and we even spotted a small shark.  To this day, I know for a fact that at some point in my life I would love to go back to this city that left such an impression on me.  Alternatively, I have come to realize that many of the places which have left a positive impact on me and that I would label as my "favorite" sometimes have less to do with the location of the place and more to do with the friends and family whose company I was lucky to share.  I can confidently say that my experience in Cairns, as lovely and picturesque as the city is, would not have been the same without the presence of my brother, father and grandfather.  What I remember most from Cairns, and the trip to Australia, is the experiences that I was able to take part in with my family in this whole new world.  I realize that if I were to ever go back to any of these places which stand out in my memories, I wouldn't want to do it alone.  No, it wouldn't be the same.   


A picture showing one of Cairns' beautiful beaches and its lush vegetation.  The image was taken by Julia Chapple on July 3, 2013.  
Source: Flickr


Comments

  1. Oh, I remember this story about your grandfather, Christian... and now here you are in Myth-Folklore, so perhaps you might even want to do an Australian project for the class! There is not an Australia unit in the UnTextbook, but there are some great books online, and that's one way to use the Extra Credit Reading option: reading to find stories for a Storybook project that goes beyond the UnTextbook. Here are some possibilities; I've linked the titles to the online books!
    Australian Legendary Tales
    More Australian Legendary Tales
    Australian Legends
    Myths and Legends of the Australian Aborigines

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the sources! I hope you are enjoying our last Friday before the semester officially begins!

      Delete
    2. This week has been so stressful (ugh!), but having the blogs up and running and posts to read makes everything seem better. :-)

      Delete
  2. Hey my favorite person :) my computer remember your website address and it suggested it when I was going to another website so I decided to leave a comment ;) I love you and I hope your day is going great. <3 I wonder when you will see this or if you ever will ;P

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ : )

Week 7 Story: The White Lotus Lodge