Reading Notes: Ancient Egyptian Myths Part A

I enjoyed getting to read some creation stories from some different cultures.  I have heard of Ra before, but besides that I didn't have very much previous knowledge on this topic.  I found it interesting that in The Secret of Ra, is is described as an oldened god.  I haven't really seen this concept of aged gods.  It makes them seem mortal.  Some of these stories of Ra reminded me of stories from the Old Testament that I remember.  For instance, some of the stories like the flood where God punished humans because they had become evil.  Ra also seemed to punish humans for similar reasons.  It was interesting to see Ra repent; I liked seeing his empathetic side to humans.  I liked getting to learn about Osiris' role as king.  This name sounded familiar but I didn't know really anything about it.  One of the stories I liked was called the Death of Osiris.  Set was a cool character; the usurper.  I think that when someone has power, there is probably always going to be someone envious of them.  Set wanted the power that Osiris ruled with, but I guess Osiris wasn't too concerned or this wasn't apparent.  I don't think I would willingly put myself into a chest that belongs to someone that has reason to be rid of me.  Then again, I am claustrophobic.  To his credit, Set had a good plan.  It was smart to design the chest in advance to be the exact proportions to fit the king perfectly.  I'm surprised Set and his men had the guts/were able to pull this off in the middle of a feast.  Maybe the jumble of people would make it a great place to pull this off.  I can see why Isis would be devastated.  This seems like it could've been a tumultuous time for the kingdom after Set assumed the throne.   

Bibliography: The Death of Osiris by Donald Mackenzie 


An ancient depiction of Osiris.  

source: commons



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ : )

My Favorite Place: Cairns, Australia