Reading Notes: Homer's Illiad Part B

 The story I chose for notes in this reading was The Slaying of Hector (end).  Part B of this story definitely seems like it's starting to climax.  The key players are getting more and more involved--specifically Achilles and Hector.  I was actually pretty surprised about the pursuit that went on between Achilles and Hector! It is funny to imagine them chasing each other around the outskirts of the city with everyone watching haha.  But Hector is a fearsome warrior, I am surprised he didn't want to fight Achilles out right.  If he won, it surely would mean victory for the Trojans.  I guess Achilles must have been extra fearsome after he was riled from his tent after the death of Patroclus.  The fight scene between Hector and Achilles is not what I was really expecting.  It seemed pretty anticlimactic! As soon as Achilles blocks the spear thrown by Hector and Hector realizes that his brother isn't with him, he is resolved to dying.  I wanted to see a good effort! I wonder why the best warrior of the Trojans doesn't think he has a chance against someone, even if it is Achilles.  This story would be really fun to rewrite and give little twists.  I think I would like to make it a little more epic and exciting! I did feel quite bad for Andromache though after this battled ended.  Achilles was a bit cruel; I think he should've given Hector's body back to the Trojans.  It would have at least given him some good karma haha! But I think Achilles was very hurt after the death of Patroclus.  Andromache shouldn't have to look outside the city and see Hector's body being dragged into the distance though! The story describes a darkness coming upon her, and to me that is one of the best ways to describe it.  


Bibliography: The Slaying of Hector (end) story from The Iliad retold by Alfred J Church 

Achilles slays Hector in battle.

Source: commons 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ : )

My Favorite Place: Cairns, Australia