Reading Notes: Odyssey Part A

 I am happy that I was able to go straight from the Iliad to the Odyssey.  I have't heard this story in a very long time, so this has almost been like reading it again for the first time.  Odysseus is easily my favorite character.  I like the qualities he has: he's brave, witty and he has leadership abilities.  These are great qualities for a hero :) I definitely would love to write an adventure based off of Odysseus.  The story from this section called The Cyclops Defeated was probably my favorite.  It was packed with action, and it also showcases some of the admirable qualities of Odysseus.  For starters though, I was a bit surprised that Odysseus didn't want to listen to his men and simply retrieve (steal) some of the cyclops supplies before heading back to the ship.  I wouldn't think he would want to leave meeting an alleged "lawless" cyclops up to chance.  Did he think he would be offered a cup of tea?  He does a great job of not panicking though, even as his men are being eaten up beside him.  It was very intelligent of Odysseus to bring the wine--though I am surprised he managed to bring enough of it to get Polyphemus drunk.  This was a great idea though--the cyclops seemed too intelligent to let the men escape otherwise.  It was pretty gutsy to try to impale the cyclops' eye.  I think that I would be afraid that he would decimate me in a drunken fury.  And the best part: Odysseus telling Polyphemus his name was nobody.  Was Odysseus really that far ahead that he anticipated Polyphemus calling for help? Odysseus seems like he is a brilliant strategist.  It is definitely paying off here.  I love how Odysseus writes like he is recording a journal.  When he is stuck in a predicament, he thinks it out and then deduces the best plan of action.  I think it would be pretty fun to write in the first person :) I don't really remember doing that for any of my other stories.  I am excited to read Part B of the Odyssey :) 


bibliography: The Cyclops Defeated from Homer's Odyssey translated by Tony Kline.   


Odysseus and his wife Penelope.  

source: commons



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ : )

My Favorite Place: Cairns, Australia