Reading Notes: Jamaican Anansi Stories Part A

 Mr. Anansi is very clever! Reading through these stories, I don't think he is someone I would like to associate with.  I feel like he always has ulterior motives--how could you trust someone like that?! That being said, he is a very fun character to read about.  Tiger's Breakfast was an interesting tale in which I feel Anansi probably didn't expect what would happen.  I like the dynamic of Anansi--he is fun to have around and would probably make most people uneasy from his reputation.  Tiger's Bone Hole was a story where we see things work out for Anansi.  After getting himself in a hole, Anansi is able to eventually take advantage of his hidden position along with his cohorts.  After getting hit with bones, Anansi is able to holler along with the others in order to shock Tiger.  In the end, this would work out for Anansi as the Tiger would flee his own home in fear and the leftover meat would be free for Anansi's taking.  I enjoyed reading the story "Eating Tiger's Guts." A this point, I am surprised people of the brer still want to hang out with Anansi hahaha! Hanging out with him would be bad enough, but listening to his directions?! Poor Tiger did not know what he had coming.  Anansi, is not as smooth as he thought, though. I guess it turned out his kid saw him come back with Tiger's guts in the middle of the night.  I know that these stories all just reset--but come one Anansi I thought you and Tiger were friends!! At least kind of friends haha! I liked reading about these tales.  I think Anansi would be a fun character to work with and write about.  I could see him being an antihero or even an antagonist potentially.  

bibliography: Eating Tiger's Guts by Martha Warren Beckwith 


Tiger before he gets his guts eaten by Anansi.

source: commons

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ : )

My Favorite Place: Cairns, Australia