Week 11 reading: Native American Hero Tales part b

 I enjoyed reading about Lodge Boy and Thrown Away.  I think the names used throughout the story were neat! For instance, the boy who was thrown in the spring was simply called Thrown-In-Spring. That made it pretty easy to remember who was who haha! And it was also fun to read those hyphenated names.  But man, are these two boys ornery. I have to say, though, this father isn't helping though! All he does is tell them things to stay away from.  You think he would have learned his lesson already! The boys only end up getting in trouble because he tells them where not to go haha! You'd think the dad would have learned the error in his ways after the second or third time.  Regardless, these boys are impressive at staying alive.  I'm just not sure if it's luck or skill...but every time they go against their father's advice and end up in a pickle, they manage to make the best of it.  I was pleasantly surprised that they were able to bring back their mom! Although it was probably very startling for the father. I'm sure he is wondering how he ended up with two boys that are capable of finding so much trouble! Oh yeah, it's because he tells them right where to look to find it haha! It definitely is fun to read about though.  I liked these stories a lot--I think I want to use them as inspiration for my own weekly story.  I was surprised their father scolded them even after they survived the attempted push-in-the-water-to-feed-my-father classic.  I suppose he directly ordered them not to mess with that guy.  Still, they were extremely clever to drop to the ground.  They were even prepared.  I liked that in the end, their mischievousness and wits were recognized and put to good use!


bibliography: Lodge-Boy and Thrown-Away by Stith Thompson 


A neat image of a child learning.
source: commons





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ : )

My Favorite Place: Cairns, Australia