Week 12 Reading Robin Hood Part A

 I enjoyed reading the story of the Butcher.  Robin Hood seems like a sneaky guy! It seems like he kind of decided he wanted to be a butcher on a whim...which seems unfortunate for his competition.  But hey, you know what they say? Don't hate the player, hate the game.  And Robin was definitely playing the game.  I guess undercutting the competition has been around for awhile if Robin Hood was doing it back in the day! I really loved the story called The Bold Pedlar.  I was a bit confused why they wanted to fight--I guess Little John thought that the man had his belongings in his pack.  The man, we will call him Chad, pretty much said come and get it.  I think that is pretty awesome! Especially considering that it was two men against himself, plus I feel like Little John would be extremely intimidating.  Regardless, John and Chad had a one on one duel.  It sounds like it was a pretty good duel, though Chad appeared to have the upper hand.  Little John seemed to think he would lose before the night was over, exclaiming that his body would probably be unrecognizable if Robin Hood did not step in.  So he did, and then Robin and Chad are having a crack at it.  It's pretty cool to imagine these guys going at it on the side of a path out in a forest! But while they are fighting, they are conversing as well.  Robin gets to know a little more about his opponent, Chad.  He finds out that the man he is fighting (who in reality is named Gamble Gold) is, in fact, the son of his mother's sister.  In other words, it's his cousin! Once they realize that, they decide to sheath their swords and go have a merry time at a nearby tavern.  How cool is that? I think I may want to write my story based off of this interaction.  It's pretty cool to have some action with a stranger and then, after realizing their identity, going off and having a beer with them with no hard feelings.  

bibliography: Robin Hood: The Bold Pedlar by Francis James Child  

A cool logo I found depicting Robin Hood.
source: commons


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ : )

My Favorite Place: Cairns, Australia