Week 12 Story: Chance Encounters

The most current version of this story can be found at my portfolio!


Once upon a time, there were two best friends named Achilles and Odysseus. Although they were troublesome, they had good hearts. Oftentimes they would steal from the rich just so they could give back to the poor. Regardless, this had made them outlaws in the eyes of the greedy king.


One day, Achilles and Odysseus were walking through the forest when they came upon a wealthy peddler. The peddler was dressed in armor and wore a golden cloak. He also had a pack that appeared to be full of small treasures. It infuriated Odysseus to see someone with so much material wealth; where he came from people were rather poor. He thought it was unfair for someone to accumulate so much wealth while others went to bed hungry.


“Oi! What’cha got in your pack, there?” Odysseus cried out to the peddler. The peddler hesitated for a second, apparently realizing that he might be in a sticky situation.


“Just some jewelry, silk garments, and salt. Among other things,” the peddler casually replied back.


“I think I may want some jewelry, silk garments, and salt. Among other things,” Big Odysseus sarcastically answered back.


“But it looks like you already have enough money, so I don’t see why I should bother paying for it,”  Odysseus continued, raising the tension.


The stranger smiled, nodding his head as though he was expecting a conflict such as this. Without saying another word, the stranger set down his back and unsheathed his sword. His message was clear: if you want it, you’re going to have to come and get it. Odysseus let out a hearty laugh. The two began to duel. Being close to seven feet tall, Odysseus was accustomed to winning fights. This one, however, was different.


After close to an hour, neither party had defeated the other. That being said, Odysseus was taking much more damage. Achilles, watching the scene from the sideline, seemed amused. At last, Odysseus could not take it any longer.


“How about you take a turn Achilles? I don’t wanna have all the fun for myself,” Odysseus let out with a forced smile.


Achilles faced across from the peddler and they started to duel. After some time, it was apparent that the two were of equal skill. Impressed, Achilles began to inquire about the stranger’s background,


“Where are you from? And what is your name? They don’t make them like you around here,” Achilles shot out at the stranger.


“My name is Patroclus. I come from the land north of Sherwood Forest. My mother lived in a village called Little Whinging and worked as an innkeeper,” the skilled stranger replied back.

Achilles let out a big grin.


“An innkeeper in Little Whinging, you say? And your name is Patroclus...My mother’s sister is an innkeeper from Little Whinging. She had a boy named Patroclus long ago. That would make us cousins. How about we put down the swords?”


Patroclus complied. The two cousins, along with Odysseus, went to a local tavern to catch up and enjoy some mead. They had a merry time.

Bibliography: The Bold Pedlar by Francis James Child

author's note: I was inspired to write this story by a tale called The Bold Pedlar.  In the original tale, Robin Hood and Little John run into a peddler in the forest.  This person had a pack of items that Little John was interested in attaining.  So, the two began to fight.  Little John was getting beat up, however, so Robin Hood stepped in.  At this point, Robin Hood begins to duel the stranger.  The two bloodied each other up a bit, and then Robin Hood inquired about the identity of the stranger.  He was not forthcoming, however; he responded that he would not tell them until both Robin Hood and Little John told him who they were.  After this, the stranger told them that he was Gamble Gold.  He had traveled far beyond the sea but was forced to leave his home country after killing a man in his father's land.  Robin Hood surmised from the information that the two were first cousins, and they quit fighting and went to a tavern. In my story, I changed the names of the characters.  I wanted to name them after Greek heroes.  I believe that Patroclus and Achilles were cousins in The Illiad.  I also tried to paint of all of the characters in a friendlier light.  I didn't really want to have the stranger be a murderer and then they all get along at the end.  I hope you enjoyed my story!

Robin Hood and Little John Sparring, illustrated by Louis Rhead.
source: commons


 

Comments

  1. Hi Christian!
    I enjoyed reading this story! I was a bit confused at first because I didn't remember any of this story from the Iliad but your author's note cleared it up for me! Using the names of Greek heroes for this Robin Hood tale was a great twist on the story. I look forward to reading other stories from you in the future.

    -Eli

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Christian! This story was very interesting. I didn't expect the ending at all. I like how you changed it up and made it more of an ancient greek story. When I first read the part about stealing from the rich and giving to the poor I instantly thought of Robin Hood. I think you did very good with the story and the author's note. It explained your ideas and decisions for the story perfectly.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ : )

My Favorite Place: Cairns, Australia