Week 13 Reading Alice in Wonderland Part B

 Poor Alice, she comes upon some peculiar gardeners.  I am sure that she was only curious; how could you not be in this fantasy world? I wonder what her state of mind is at this point.  Perhaps she has grown comfortable almost in this new setting.  Or maybe everything is unnerving.  She still does not seem afraid, so that makes me think she is kind of just exploring.  It would be extremely odd for Alice hearing this conversation, though.  They were calling each other by numbers...I would wonder if these were there names, or maybe they didn't have names and this was a more degrading way to addressed.  Besides the names, I would have been unsettled by the contents of their conversation.  Hearing about a queen that would behead people would be utterly terrifying.  Especially because you don't know anything about this queen; perhaps she does not welcome strangers.  The reason for why Seven would be beheaded is even more dreadful--bringing tulip roots instead of onions to the cook.  I think I would have fled by this point.  But Alice, timidly asks why they're painting the tree.  They seem to answer so matter of fact that they planted the wrong kind of rose tree, and they needed to fix their mistake before the queen noticed.  Otherwise, she would have their heads.  Thinking about it, this is a bit graphic for a children's story.  Watching some Disney stories after I have grown up, I am sometimes surprised by the gruesome nature of them.  You don't think about it as much as a kid, but I can see how they could be quite disturbing to some children. I was pleasantly surprised by the sass that Alice had with the queen! I wouldn't have had those guts, especially knowing she was a ruthless ruler.  I do believe she has the resolve to make it out alright.  

bibliography: The Queen's Croquet-Ground by Lewis Carrol

A depiction of Alice and the White Queen
source: commons


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ : )

My Favorite Place: Cairns, Australia