Reading Notes: Ancient Egyptian Myths Part B

     I enjoyed reading the story of the two brothers.  It reminded me of a story from the bible, in which Joseph was working in the house of a high ranking Egyptian.  Then the official's wife falls for Joseph, and lies about him saying that he came onto her once she was rejected.  This story happened in Egypt as well, so I wonder if the stories could be associated! It's nice that Ra listened to Bata's pleadings, but it's unfortunate that Anpu believes the lies that he has heard from his wife.  I don't think it is in Bata's character (clearly not after seeing his reaction to his brother's wife) to hurt someone like how she has pretended.  I was surprised with how casually Anpu killed his wife after he found out the truth.  I mean it's good he believed his brother, but was that really necessary? It was pretty neat that Anpu was able to salvage Bata's soul.  I think this would be a fun story to take on! There are so many twists and turns, and the potential for quests as well.  It was a pretty incredible turn of events in which Bata was able to end up king.  I was a bit confused by the reading though, and I will need to go back over it in my spare time.  The woman with the king is in fact Bata's old wife? But there was another woman as well who collected Bata's wife.  Even Anpu was able to excel after his brother became king.  It was a happy story I suppose after all, in a weird turn of events. I think it would be really fun to write a story based of of this one.  There is a lot of material to work with through the different stories of the brothers.  It reminds me of some other biblical stories, like I said.  


Bibliography: The Two Brothers by Donald Mackenzie from Egyptian Myth and Legend 


The Egyptian god Ra in one of his many forms.
source: commons


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ : )

My Favorite Place: Cairns, Australia