Reading Notes: Homer's Odyssey Part B

      Circe's part in Odysseus' journey was very interesting to me.  Her story reminded me of a story I wrote last semester called "Witches' Island." That story was based off of Goblin City, in which lost sailors would get seduced by seemingly beautiful women before they were eaten by them.  Spoilers: the beautiful women are goblins.  My story seems even more similar--Circe is a witch herself.   Also, I thought it was pretty neat that one of the stories from this week was called "On Circe's Island." :) Odysseus' story is so neat in general--the gods seem to take particular interest with him that they do not with most other mortals. It was really cool for Odysseus to see the ghost of his mother and also Erebus in Hades' House. This trip would feel crazy if I was Odysseus! He just got out of a war, too.  He's gonna have a lot of stories when he gets home ;)   I was a bit surprised and confused to see the ghosts of the famous women.  I'm not sure if Odysseus needed/wanted to hear that? I'm sure he's in a hurry hahaha! But at the same time, maybe after he's already been delayed for years time doesn't mean as much anymore.  I'm not exactly sure if Odysseus needed Teiresias' help to make it back to Ithaca.  It seems like he just told him his whole life story and future! But I guess he had to hear it that way. Although I loved reading about Odysseus getting too see old friends that have passed, I think my favorite story may have been when he encountered the sirens.   I like the concept of something that is so desirable you lose your mind.  It's almost like a powerful drug.  Even Odysseus had to be tied up and stopped by his men.  I think it would be fun to write a story about ghosts in Hades' House or even about the sirens.  Circe could be a fun one as well :)


Bibliography: Passing the Sirens from Homer's Odyssey translated by Tony Kline


An awesome depiction of Odysseus with the sirens.

source: commons




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ : )

My Favorite Place: Cairns, Australia