Reading Notes: 22 Goblins Part B

 After getting reintroduced to this topic this week (I was first interested when doing the reading overview assignment) I can see why I picked out this story! It's even more interesting by the fact that I have never heard of these goblin stories before.  It seems like a concept I would use though--goblins taking over human bodies.  The riddle dynamic to the stories is even more intriguing.  The stories are pretty interesting to hear--fantastic stories of princesses and magic.  But the whole goal of the stories is to dupe the king.  It would be fun to have a hero have to go through trials of riddles.  I realize that most of my stories involve physical altercations or demonstrate the physical capabilities of my main characters.  Maybe it would be more challenging and take more creativity to write a story such as this, including a goblin type riddle.  I haven't really tried to to that before.  But these stories and challenges remind me a little bit of Odysseus.  It seems like most of his hardships (well there were a lot so maybe just some of them) required the use of his wits.  This is pretty much what the king has to do for every tail.  One of the stories involving the girl passion stuck out to me.  She had the intrinsic ability to basically make people fall head over heels for her and be very passionate.  I'm surprised her husband was able to offer her to the king so willingly, especially from how other men and even the king himself are reacting to Passion.  But the king seems to be a virtuous man himself.  The more I read these stories, it seems like there really are no right answers.  Perhaps the king just needs to make the answer correct--he has been doing a great job of justifying his selections.  I thought it was pretty neat that the goblin admitted that he was astounded at the king's perseverance.  I think he really earned it.  I was pretty surprised by the ending.  How can you really trust a goblin? Or really even the monk in the situation.  Either way, it worked out for the wise king. 

Bibliography: 22 Goblins translated by Arthur Ryder 

The goblin and the princess.
source: commons


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ : )

My Favorite Place: Cairns, Australia