Week 6 Story: The Greatest Adventure is What Lies Ahead

You can find this story on my website here!


And so I left my home island and set sail for a life of adventure. While most that were onboard the ship with myself were hoping to achieve certain ambitions or find hidden treasures, my ultimate goal was to find my father.  While I knew it wouldn't be an easy task, I knew that this was my first step in meeting my dad.  But I would be lying if I said I wasn't excited about becoming a Sailor as well.  Where I come from, there is a difference between being a sailor and being a Sailor.  To become a Sailor you have to pass a strenuous month long exam.  The exam has multiple stages, with each stage weeding out more and more people.  While hundreds or thousands may start in the first stage of the exam, it was common for no more than 10-20 people pass the Sailor exam each year that it happened.  After becoming a Sailor, you were given VIP access to many different things and had access to practically everywhere in the world.  While many use their Sailor licenses to help others or for employment, others become rogue and take advantage of their power.  

I was determined to pass the exam.  Even though I was just a rookie and I knew the odds weren't in my favor--I had to be willing to sacrifice every ounce of my being to pass this exam.  In reality, I knew the statistics.  A rookie, on average, only passed the Sailor exam once every three years.  My father had passed it his first year though.  Knowing this, for whatever reason, gave me confidence.  I couldn't get complacent though--people died taking this exam.  The ship anchored on the dark island where the first exam was supposedly taking place.  By the time half the men had emptied the ship onto the island, those of us still waiting to leave the ship noticed the island start to move...as if it were alive.  Suddenly it shook violently, and shot into the water, leaving those who were standing on it suddenly struggling to keep afloat. "A giant camouflaged whale?" I exclaimed in shock.  "Creatures such as that will be the least of your worries, starting soon," the Captain grunted back to me in a cautionary tone.  Though I knew he was trying to look out for me, it didn't make me feel in better.  

The next morning we pulled up to the island where the first stage of the exam was to take place.  It was a tropical terrain, with lush trees and a mountain as well.  As we left the captain told the lot of us where the start site for the first stage of the exam was: the top of the mountain.  "Good luck," he cried out as he once again set sail back out into the big blue sea.  Looking up at the top of the mountain, I couldn't help but smile.  "And so it begins," I thought to myself.      

Author's Note: I styled my writing for this story, as well as some of the inspiration for the plot, off of the story the Seven Voyages of Sindbad. Sindbad is a merchant sailor who goes on wild adventures and sees all sorts of beasts and monsters.  I really liked the first person perspective of how the Sindbad stories were told.  It made me feel like it was almost a journal entry.  I liked being inside the head of the protagonist.  So I decided to write my story in the same style and make it and adventurous kind of story.  In my story I also included the island that looks like a whale.  That was from one of Sindbad's earliest voyages.  I wanted to have it in my story to show how difficult this exam and whole process would be in general.  I received some inspiration for the "Sailor" exam from the show HunterxHunter.  That's also where I received inspiration for the back story of my main character.  I had fun writing this story, I hope you enjoyed it :)


bibliography: The Seven Voyages of Sindbad the Sailor by Andrew Lang and illustrated by H. J. Ford (1898)

A neat picture of a beach in Hawaii.
source: commons




Comments

  1. Hey Christian!

    I think the persepective you chose to write this story from was great–it really helps to make the story more engaging for the reader. I also like that you included dialogue, for the same reason. I think it would've been cool to include some more information about the first task to give the reader more of an idea about what the challenges themselves were like, but I think you did a great job overall!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also wrote about Sindbad in one of my stories! I loved reading your take on the story. I like that you made being a sailor an elite group of VIP individuals. This was a fun story for me to write and it looks like you had fun writing it as well. I like that you gave a lot of details about the process of becoming a sailor. Overall, great story!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ : )

My Favorite Place: Cairns, Australia