Week 13 Reading Alice in Wonderland Part A

 I enjoyed reading the story Advice from a Caterpillar.  I thought that was a pretty peculiar title! One that I certainly haven't seen before.  Obviously it would be quite shocking to come face to face with a caterpillar smoking a hookah.  But I thought the dialogue between the two was fascinating as well.  The caterpillar says to Alice, "Who are YOU?" This implies that she was the one who was unusual.  Poor Alice--I can't imagine falling through a rabbit hole only to be questioned by a talking, smoking caterpillar! I like how calm she is throughout the conversation.  Even when she states she doesn't know who she is at the moment.  She is remarkably composed for not knowing where she is or even who she is! I think I would have been in a more panicked state for sure.  And I don't think the caterpillar's story would have made me feel any better.  In fact, I'm sure that it would have only made me feel more confused, if that is possible.  I guess by this point Alice can't really be surprised by anything.  But, I wouldn't appreciate listening to a story from a stranger and then at the end having them tell me that the whole thing was wrong from start to finish.  It would seem like a bit of a waste of time, wouldn't it? It really reminds me of a song by Tenacious D called Tribute.  In the song, the narrator talks about how he and his brother (musicians) were traveling when they came across a demon. The demon requested that they play him the best song in the world, or he would eat their souls.  And so, the two brothers looked at each other and proceeded to play the best song in the world for the demon.  Keep in mind, this is all getting explained throughout the song.  I quite enjoy the song as well.  But then, at the end of the song the singer says that that the song they were playing on that fateful night sounded nothing like the song that they we were hearing.  He states that the song that we were hearing was just a tribute.  I think it would be fun to write a story where someone gets trolled in a similar kind of way.  

bibliography: Advice from a Caterpillar by Lewis Carrol 

Alice conversing with a peculiar caterpillar.
source: commons


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ : )

My Favorite Place: Cairns, Australia